Can't this be done as simple as an VHF-like fashion?

All hardware design discussions

Moderators: seaton, strogg

Can't this be done as simple as an VHF-like fashion?

Postby geier » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:37 pm

Hi,
while I have no real expierence with radio electronics, I have the feeling, that this could be done much simpler (meaing w/o micro controllers).

For example a simple VHF-radioset can be built very easily (as you probably now better than me). Instead of using a sound source and a speaker we could now easily attach a circuit that transforms the cameras trigger signal for example to two short signals (to prevent unwanted triggering) and backa (on the reciever).

While it is probably illegal to use VHF, I guess such circuits can be modified to use other frequencies.

Am I missing something or would this be just to unreliable?

christian
geier

Postby strogg » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:28 am

It's hard for me to debate on this point, as to me, VHF is scary magic voodoo, and microcontrollers are everyday normal stuff. I'm a computer programmer for more than I am a radio guy, so to me, the digital stuff involved in making this with a microcontroller is well.. pretty trivial, relatively speaking.

I suspect that VHS is an analog solution, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

For me, it would be a lot easier to implement some kind of checksum, and a digital protocol to talk to the receiver. I can't even begin to imagine how you could do this in analog.
strogg

VHF

Postby Thonord » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:20 am

strogg wrote:I suspect that VHS is an analog solution, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Whether transmision is digital or analog is a question of modulation and not frequency

VHF is a frequency band like any other (30 - 300MHz) and from a purly technical point of view should do just fine. There is a ISM band around 70 MHz.
But I think we are better off up among the microwaves 2.4GHz. Higher bit rate up there.
Seem to remember 9.6 14.4 K bit rates in VHF.
I also asume bigger and more expensive building blocks in VHF, but may be wrong .
Tom
Ppl who agree need normally not reply, those who disagree or have questions do.
Or - just ignore me.
Thonord

Return to Hardware