Initial Design in SVN

All hardware design discussions

Moderators: seaton, strogg

Initial Design in SVN

Postby seaton » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:53 am

I've uploaded an initial design for the ebay trigger based on a PIC 16F873A available both in eagle source and PDF.

Why use a 16F873A I hear you ask? Well I have a few kicking around here so it is easy for me to do some prototyping with along with the built in SPI and UART makes serial comms easier than bitbanging, plus I think its also what the Picaxe-28 is built on, so should be pin compatible with it for anyone picaxe inclined.

http://svn.everythingrobotics.com/strobist/mk1/trunk/

"Constructive" critisism greatfully accepted as well as any suggestions, but please keep in mind that it's purely aimed as a board replacement for the ebay triggers, so cost and size is critical. I've yet to do a PCB on the existing circuit (next learning step with Eagle lol).

Also any recommendations for the N-channel FETS that will handle 250-300V (i.e. older strobe voltages) and is SMD? I have yet to find something (not looked real hard though).

I've tried to keep with the same I/O requirements as original ebay trigger, i.e. single LED, channel switches, power switch etc, but if there is any space on the board we could add in some more config switches/LEDS etc.

There is the additional Quench cct if people want to hack it in. Don't know how we might handle this with the basic transmitter and the current I/O as it stands though. I may just leave it out all together at this stage and add it into the hackable PW replacement design. Any thoughts?

Also should we stick with using the existing batteries from the ebay triggers for this unit so that it fits in the existing ebay trigger housing, or look at something else? My thoughts are to keep them so it can all fit, but as always open to suggestions and alternatives :)

As mentioned the source files are there so please use how you see fit. If you do make any corrections/changes please let me know so I can reflect the it back in SVN, same goes for the library

I have tried to structure the SVN to allow for different architectures, e.g. if you want to use atmel instead of PIC. If you want to add your design to SVN please let me know.

Stephen...
seaton
Site Admin

Postby seaton » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:37 am

new update in svn
seaton
Site Admin

battery

Postby JAKN » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:08 am

when you refer to the batteries in the "ebay trigger" boxes... do you mean the Cactus triggers that have CR2's or the other ones that have AAA's. Definitely avoid the CR2s - AA or AAA is great - many people already have NiMH versions with chargers, where are CR2's are expensive and could leave you in a lurch (every convenience store sells the others)
JAKN

Return to Hardware