A rough schematic

All hardware design discussions

Moderators: seaton, strogg

A rough schematic

Postby matt_e » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:08 pm

So, I'd had the idea for building my own RF strobe kicking around for ages. I've even done some prototyping and designed a circuit that I think would be up to the task. It's pretty rough, and it's never been built, so I don't even know if it would really work, but it's a start.

For completeness, there are a bunch of off-board connectors:
Code: Select all
EXPAND: a general-purpose TWI expansion port
RADIO: connects to the radio module via SPI (I was planning on using the Sparkfun/Nordic boards for ease of use)
LCD: connects (obviously) to the LCD via SPI
KEYS: to the keypad - to save on IO's I want to use a multiplexer, which is why there are the KEYS_A[0..2], KEYS_D and #KEY_STROBE lines, which should allow us 8 inputs. which I think is more than enough, while still being flexible.
JTAG: Debug/programming port. To save space it's not the regular 20-pin connector, but it still has all the required connections.
JTAGSEL, TST & ERASE: are all processor-required jumpers
VBATT: connects to 2xAA batteries
TRIG_OUT & TRIG_IN: minijack connectors to the strobes. This area could definitely use more work.

Anyway; use it, don't use it, it's up to you. Consider it a donation to get us started :wink:. Let me know what you think, though.

Also, my apologies, but it's come out pretty small. Mainly because I can only host on flickr, and I don't have a pro account anymore, so it's limited the size of the image.

Edit: Fixed the image size

Last edited by matt_e on Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
matt_e

Postby sesh » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:05 am

matt_e - I'm not a electronics tech-head, but if you email me the schematic I can upload it to either my Flickr account or to my webspace in a higher resolution. PM'd you my work email.

You could also try http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/ for higher resolution uploads.

Cheers,
Brenton
sesh

Postby strogg » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:03 am

The microcontroller bits look fairly standard.. What I'm wondering is what did you use for the radio transmitter part?
strogg

Postby matt_e » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:43 am

The radio, as i mentioned above, is a sparkfun/nordic module. Here's a link http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=705
matt_e

Re: A rough schematic

Postby seaton » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:53 am

matt_e wrote:So, I'd had the idea for building my own RF strobe kicking around for ages. I've even done some prototyping and designed a circuit that I think would be up to the task. It's pretty rough, and it's never been built, so I don't even know if it would really work, but it's a start.

For completeness, there are a bunch of off-board connectors:

Anyway; use it, don't use it, it's up to you. Consider it a donation to get us started :wink:. Let me know what you think, though.

Also, my apologies, but it's come out pretty small. Mainly because I can only host on flickr, and I don't have a pro account anymore, so it's limited the size of the image.

Thanks for that Matt, you beat me to it lol, I've been working on a schematic for the last couple of days, but yours is more complete. Great stuff!!!!

You may want to put it on the wiki, if not I could possibly put the file up for you if required, pm me if needed.

Stephen...
seaton
Site Admin

Standard design software?

Postby sirket » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:21 am

Has anyone decided on standard design software to use for the circuit layout and PCB design? I use Eagle mostly (as do other obviously) but some people prefer gEDA and the like. It would be nice if we could agree :)

-Don
sirket

Re: Standard design software?

Postby seaton » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:02 am

sirket wrote:Has anyone decided on standard design software to use for the circuit layout and PCB design? I use Eagle mostly (as do other obviously) but some people prefer gEDA and the like. It would be nice if we could agree :)

-Don

Although I've used protel quite a bit in the past and happy with the results, I would say eagle (just started learning it myself) as they have the free version that would suit most users, and the libraries available would cover most situations

stephen..
seaton
Site Admin

Postby sirket » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:51 am

I've used Protel in the past but it's just too expensive for personal use.

Eagle takes a lot of getting use to but once you understand how to use it you begin to realize how capable a product it is. I'll be using that for my 285 board.

-Don
sirket

Return to Hardware