Hardware suggestions

All hardware design discussions

Moderators: seaton, strogg

Hardware suggestions

Postby JonSenior » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:33 pm

In the interests of not becoming the grouch of the group who just puts peoples ideas down, I have added a page to the Wiki detailing off-the-shelf solutions for radio and micro. I would appreciate those who have made similar suggestions in the forum adding to the list. I am slowly collecting datasheets on my hard drive relating to this and will be adding as I see fit.

http://wiki.everythingrobotics.com/index.php?title=Hardware

I've tried to make it an impersonal list of attributes, but I'm under no delusions that I've succeeded! Allez-y mes amis.

Jon
JonSenior

For the wiki

Postby Thonord » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:59 pm

jonsenior.

I'd like to add the Nordic nRF24LU1 to that Wiki page. I even tried, but I need to read the manual first.
Can you help me?
The reason I find it interesting, is:
RF unit, 8051 comparable microcontroller, USB port
All in one small unit.

Tom
Ppl who agree need normally not reply, those who disagree or have questions do.
Or - just ignore me.
Thonord

Postby JonSenior » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:14 am

Thonord: I have a copy of the manual. I'll add it this evening.
JonSenior

adding to wiki

Postby Thonord » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:34 am

thanks
Tom
Ppl who agree need normally not reply, those who disagree or have questions do.
Or - just ignore me.
Thonord

Postby seaton » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:13 am

Added Phillips LPC2138 and Atmel AT91SAM7x to wiki
seaton
Site Admin

ARM Processor

Postby sirket » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:19 am

The ARM processors are nice but are more expensive, more complex, and far more powerful than we probably need.

I'm not crazy about PIC but they make their RF series- rfPIC12F675K for example should work in the 344 MHz band that the PW's utilize.

Is there any reason we wouldn't want to just mimick the PW protocol initially so that people who already own PW's can use them with our device?

-Don
sirket

Re: ARM Processor

Postby seaton » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:05 am

sirket wrote:The ARM processors are nice but are more expensive, more complex, and far more powerful than we probably need.

I'm not crazy about PIC but they make their RF series- rfPIC12F675K for example should work in the 344 MHz band that the PW's utilize.

Is there any reason we wouldn't want to just mimick the PW protocol initially so that people who already own PW's can use them with our device?

-Don

I'm not familiar with these but I'm intrigued
seaton
Site Admin

Re: ARM Processor

Postby JonSenior » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:11 pm

sirket wrote:The ARM processors are nice but are more expensive, more complex, and far more powerful than we probably need.

The other advantage of PICs is that being hobbyist oriented, they are easy to work with. With regard to 344MHz, we can use this band, but the transmission units available for it are limited in sophistication which puts a greater load on the controller and code. It is also bandwidth limited.

Yes. Reverse engineering protocols is never fun. It moves into definite (as apposed to probable) patent infringement territory. And while the idea is cool, I don't imagine that someone who can merrily buy PWs is going to be soldering their own triggers. In terms of the added functionality that we could offer, I guess the (hopefully) low cost would mean it would be trivial to add units.

Jon
JonSenior

I respectfully disagree

Postby sirket » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:50 pm

but the transmission units available for it are limited in sophistication which puts a greater load on the controller and code. It is also bandwidth limited.

Limited in sophistication how- if the unit already does FSK in hardware, and our protocol is simple enough- what does it matter? As for the bandwidth- what are we trying to send here? We don't need a lot of bandwidth, and the 40kbs quoted by Microchip is several orders of magnitude more than we need.

Yes. Reverse engineering protocols is never fun. It moves into definite (as apposed to probable) patent infringement territory.
Reverse engineering is _always_ fun :) Stick a scope on the various outputs and trigger the flashes- it's not like they have a million (or even a hundred) states. As for patent infringement- I disagree. Reverse engineering a protocol for the purpose of compatibility has always been allowed. The only exception (and this has not been tested in the courts) is where security measures are concerned (as a result of the DMCA)- and the PW's dont use encryption so it's a non-issue.

And while the idea is cool, I don't imagine that someone who can merrily buy PWs is going to be soldering their own triggers.
When I posted about the PIC's the point was to have full units made, not do-it-yourself boards.
sirket

Postby seaton » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:41 am

I'm in favour of looking at the PIC as an ebay trigger replacement, i.e. swap out the guts maybe? This will probably cater for 95% of the strobist community and be very cheap. Has anyone used these? what are the pros and cons?

However (personally) I would still like to look at something that is hackable and expandable i.e. to have the functionality of the PW with plenty of more. I guess this is the ultimate goal for me (and what I'm working towards atm)

stephen...
seaton
Site Admin

Return to Hardware