Get the price right.

Initial requirements discussion

Moderator: seaton

Get the price right.

Postby Thonord » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:08 pm

I think we need to take a short break from the good and fun stuff.
How much are these going to cost?
The eBay trigger uses a SAW resonator (the radio transmitter for the rest of you) which maybe costs 20 cents each.
Proposals are made for tranceiver modules at maybe 40 $US each.
A tx/rx on the camera and one on the flash, thats 80 $. Thats just for the wireless link.

Boss, I suggest we focus on cost for a while!

Tom
Ppl who agree need normally not reply, those who disagree or have questions do.
Or - just ignore me.
Thonord

Postby mattsteg » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:39 pm

Well, let's figure out a realistic estimate of how much the other stuff is going to cost (and maybe think about lower (but still useful) performance, shorter range transmitters/transceivers as possible drop-in replacements for people requiring lower cost) $40 seems a bit steeper than most of what I've seen suggested 15-35 seems like more of the range. (i.e. something like xbee/xbeepro at 19 and 32 dollars in single unit quantities) These are all very capable wireless solutions we're looking at here that add a ton of functionality. If we just want plain old manual triggering it'd be easy to cut costs (and maybe work out a schematic for something that simple as well).

How much are we going to need for the enclosure, buttons, micro, etc? None of them should be that hefty, but they will add up. The wireless link should be by far the most expensive component. Let's figure out how much the rest will cost to see where we're falling price-wise now.
mattsteg

Postby brittonphotography » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:06 pm

How much would you pay for a Reliable long range triggering system with capability to TTL/ or manually adjust power?

Cactus/ebay triggers are ~$25each from MPEX

PW are 180

I would probably pay 60 for one unit, 120 for a pair, thats less than half the price of PW with more functions.

We need to decide on price you would pay and pick transceiver from that. also balancing transceiver speed/range with peoples expectations of quality vs. price.
brittonphotography

Postby brittonphotography » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:06 pm

How much would you pay for a Reliable long range triggering system with capability to TTL/ or manually adjust power?

Cactus/ebay triggers are ~$25each from MPEX

PW are 180

I would probably pay 60 for one unit, 120 for a pair, thats less than half the price of PW with more functions.

We need to decide on price you would pay and pick transceiver from that. also balancing transceiver speed/range with peoples expectations of quality vs. price.
brittonphotography

makes sence.

Postby Thonord » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:46 pm

60$US pr unit +/- 20% makes sence to me.
Others?

Tom
Ppl who agree need normally not reply, those who disagree or have questions do.
Or - just ignore me.
Thonord

Postby bilmorfoto » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:34 am

Hmmm. Maybe $30 each for Cactus/ebay type trigger-only (but more reliable), $60 each for remote manual adjustment, more for full auto?

Bill
bilmorfoto

Postby seaton » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:55 am

I would like to see them for sub $100 for a pair.

Remember you can take them on at any level....want to build it yourself, by hacking your own board etc source the cheapest parts. just want a kit to build it yourself great, or a completed item. So all will be at different costs

Down here in the land of Oz I can't find PW any cheaper than $AUD365/PR so anything better than that for me.
seaton
Site Admin

Cost if important

Postby peter_gullberg » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:33 pm

I think one of the major drivers to make such a product are (low) cost, and the possibility of DIY. I'm not sure I would "DIY", if the price reached somewhere near shelf price.
I would highly suggest we (at least) include low-cost version in V1. The key drivers here will be the communication, I used to work with double-infrared LED's, using differential amplifiers, which managed to reach far, maybe something to consider.
peter_gullberg

Postby MQ » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:27 pm

I'm in for the reliable and compact version and I
realise that a tool is more than a toy in price.

If you buy cheap you buy twice, and the only reason
why I'm lookin into this is that the PWs are not perfect
but indeed expensive.

This needs to be done better *and* chepaer.
However, if cheaper is not available, I'd be willing
to settle for better than the PWs.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem.
MQ

Return to Requirements