Just curious.. What's the goal?

Initial requirements discussion

Moderator: seaton

Just curious.. What's the goal?

Postby thenickboy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:58 pm

I'm curious here - What are we shooting for? (pun intended)

Are we doing this:
To make a marketable Open Source product to sell cheaply? for profit? at cost? (give david the profits? :-) )
To compete with the Cactus V2 triggers?
To compete with PWs?
if so, which one? the classic or the MultiMax?
if so, are we trying to surpass their design somehow (TTL control, etc)?
Just to see if we can do it?
What's the market? Professionals? Hobbyists? Prosumers?

I think this is what REALLY will drive our design - features aside, if we're not aiming at a goal, we can talk about our ideas for design until we're blue in the face.

My 2 yen. (I'm currently in Japan)

Nick
thenickboy

Postby mattsteg » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:54 pm

My take is something that can take the "strobist approach" (off-camera, manually adjusted small flashes) to a point where we can make all adjustments from the camera and operate reliably over sizable distances. We should be able to apply all of this to cheap, readily available strobes rather than focusing on features only available on $200+ technowonders. Create a design that allows for a lot of performance at a low price. The first target probably has to be hobbyists, because the first products aren't going to be "finished products". After that, if they work well and someone or a group of someones wants to get into manufacturing them, great. As an open source project, anyone's free to do that and do as they will with the profits.
mattsteg

Create a tested reliable design and instructions

Postby anton.tagunov » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:29 pm

If you allow gentlemen, I would describe my vision of how this can work. Please agree or disagree or ignore me.

In my understanding the main product of an open source project like this could be design materials: circuit and printed board diagrams, assembly instructions pictures and videos. With this corpus of materials a reasonably skilled hobbyist should be able to assemble a working set: transmitter + receivers. This can be a community effort absolutely analogous to a software os projects. The results shall be purely intellectual and accessible to the whole planet.

And it would be nice if any interested party could produce material artifacts based on this shared intellectual wealth. For example people can team up around this site to jointly order partly or completely built units. Any commercial supplier from any part of the world should be able to use these materials to build and sell components at any price and on any conditions he likes. This can create a competitive market place with reasonable prices. For this to happen we need to supply our contributions with an appropriate license: viewtopic.php?t=15

At least this is how I adapt my vision of open source software to physical world.
anton.tagunov

I agree fully, Anton

Postby Thonord » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:36 pm

There is also a "legal" aspect to this. To avoid future misunderstandings, we need this put in place.

Tom
Ppl who agree need normally not reply, those who disagree or have questions do.
Or - just ignore me.
Thonord

Postby seaton » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:23 am

Yes one of the issues we need to get nailed down pretty early on is the licensing.

I'm leaning towards GPL, but will do some research on some of the other hardware based opensource projects that I'm aware of.

Stephen...
seaton
Site Admin

Re: Just curious.. What's the goal?

Postby MQ » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:14 pm

thenickboy wrote:Are we doing this:
To make a marketable Open Source product to sell cheaply?
for profit? at cost? (give david the profits? :-) )

I don't care if at all and who will make a profit with it.
All I want is a machine that suits my needs.

To compete with the Cactus V2 triggers?

To be better than that. At probably a higher price.

To compete with PWs?

To have a (far) better price point with at least their functionality
and reliability. Or better.

What's the market? Professionals? Hobbyists? Prosumers?

Me. I'm the market. And maybe you. And the others contributing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem.
MQ

Return to Requirements