Price:

1 – 99 units: $32 each

100 – 999 units: $28 each

1K – 9999 units: $24.50 each

10K – 24999 units: $22.50 each
brittonphotography

Postby JonSenior » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:57 pm

Er... we got it.

It looks however like the xBee fails to meet our requirements for transmission speed. This is not confirmed as I'm waiting on someone with experience with the device to weigh in.

And for hobbyists, bulk discounts are meaningless. If you want a realistic estimation of price it needs to be based on the per-unit costs.

Jon
JonSenior

Postby brittonphotography » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:07 am

Duno, why that posted twice...

I thought the point of this forum was to join forces so that we could create something cheaper and better than if we all worked alone?

We could easily pull together some funds to purchase these in bulk and save us all some money.
if there is only 100 people on this site that would want one...
assume everyone needs at least one transmitter and receiver,
probably more like 3 or 4 each,
that is 400 units. (@100 people with 1 tx and 3 receivers)

with 200 people at that stat then we are almost at the 1,000 quantity.

In my head with the demand we could generate it would make sense to have these available for cheap and sell ALL the parts as a kit to make the whole thing cheaper (and easier to build since you can go to one site for a kit)

If you consider how many people are in the strobist flickr group... i think 15,000
or how many people read the strobist website i think +90,000
then there is a huge market for these things not including people who aren't familiar with the strobist site but still use wireless triggers.

I think it makes sense to look at volume pricing for everything we do
even just to have the option of moving to buying in bulk in the future.

as far as tx speed, since that was still TBD, I figured this would be good to have anyways.
brittonphotography

Postby JonSenior » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:22 am

brittonphotography wrote:I thought the point of this forum was to join forces so that we could create something cheaper and better than if we all worked alone?

True, but the idea of Open Source is to prevent duplication of work. And there are a few logistical problems associated with a bulk purchase:

I'm in the UK. The fact that your prices are in $ suggests that you're a Leftpondian. The chap who put this forum up is in Australia. One poster is currently in China. One is in Norway. And I believe at least one or two are in South Africa. International communities are great, but the shipping costs would (I strongly suspect) largely negate the cost savings from a purchase.

In my head with the demand we could generate it would make sense to have these available for cheap and sell ALL the parts as a kit to make the whole thing cheaper (and easier to build since you can go to one site for a kit)

As I've mentioned elsewhere. I think it'd be great if someone were to do this, but I think the choice of materials and stated costs should be based on one person, buying locally (Where possible).

I think it makes sense to look at volume pricing for everything we do
even just to have the option of moving to buying in bulk in the future.

as far as tx speed, since that was still TBD, I figured this would be good to have anyways.

Add it to the Hardware page on the wiki. Include a link to this thread.

Jon
JonSenior

Postby brittonphotography » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:43 am

you bring up a good point with the international aspect of shipping, though the same point could argue for the buy in bulk/ ship in kit form.

If we buy all the components in bulk and ship to a central location, then ship out in a kit, i am sure the international customers would pay less for one shipment of all their components in one box than they would for may shipments of small components in separate packages.

Could even conceive of ordering 1000 units from manufacturer and having them ship them to two different sites, a UK site for you drive on the left guys to source the kit for the Europeans and a US base to ship kits for North America. Maybe even an Aussie site if there is enough pull there.

$25x1 shipment is better than $15x5 packages...
not sure what it would actually cost but you can see how it might be beneficial. We would have to do some more research to be sure, but I can't say which way would be cheaper right now.

Agree that the choice of materials should be influence by the ability of one person to buy individually, but its good to look forward to see if we have the potential to save people some money in the future if this thing takes off.

I only posted the Xbee stuff because the nordic chips had volume pricing on the web page availible. I posted that on the wiki in the beginning.
Am not partial to the xbee. Will let you wireless gurus figure out the best solution for that.
brittonphotography

Return to Procurement