Role Call

General Discussion - Everything else for V1 goes here

Moderators: seaton, strogg

Postby Breamer » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:23 am

Derrick here.

Degree in Electrical Engineering, work as RF Engineer for T-Mobile USA. Forgotten all the stuff I learned at Uni but have solid knowledge of RF and wireless communications.

Full time Dad + full time job + hobbies leaves not much time. However I'm happy to offer my knowledge and experience and think this could be a great learning opportunity for me as well.
Breamer

Postby Firebird » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:52 pm

Walt here. Have played with radio and electronics for 40 years. Been an amateur radio operator for 30 years. Electronic tech for 27 years until Chinese techs needed my job more than I did. LOL Now a part-time village idiot. Love photography and love experimenting.
Firebird

Postby martinwilson » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:08 pm

Hi, my name is Martin Wilson and live in Cape Town, South Africa.

I am currently studying a degree in Computer and Electronic Engineering. So what I lack in experience I make up with theory flowing out my ears :)

I am a avid believer in all things open-source and am very keen to see where this project leads...
martinwilson

Role Call

Postby randymor » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:09 am

Hi,
I'm Randy, living in Salem Oregon, transplanted from So. Cal. back in '79.
I am a Licensed Supervising Electrician with an electronics background and very eager to help here.
randymor

Postby gsansoucie » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:07 am

Hi,

Glen here, [idle] Amateur Radio operator. . .

Played with pic controllers.

Professional software developer (c/c++/c# and other languages that won't help here).

I will be honest, I am a lot more interested in taking pictures than making gadgets to help take pictures, especially with cheap wireless triggers available. I am, however, a geek at heart and will most likely find myself drawn into this project. . .

Just a note, it looks like this will be a global project, from an RF point of view, finding a frequency that is acceptable in all participating (and even non-participating) countries will be a big factor towards success...
-=Glen=-

n1xf
gsansoucie

Postby TwoLeftFeet » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:14 am

Currently a IT consultant, working on project with C and C++ stuff.

Studied computer engineering... Worked on embedded systems stuff for consumer electronics (Audio) for over 3 years prior to moving on. Used C, assembler, C++, MFC. Have some decent electronics experience, but no real equipment at home aside from Atmel starter kit and a lost soldering iron.

I have a HAM radio license, but haven't used it in years...

General geek, and love taking photos. Those cactus remotes are just unreliable. Want something better for outdoors.
TwoLeftFeet

Role Call

Postby Rowdy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:24 pm

Hi. I am Rob and I have worked as a software engineer and a systems engineer in high reliability voice communication systems (Air Traffic Control and similar) and traffic light controllers.

These are all embedded systems with a variety of communication requirements.
Rowdy

Postby Gordon » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:30 pm

Hi, I'm in Austin, Tx. B.Eng in electronic engineering, M.Sc in telecomms and digital control. PhD in digital design/ FPGA technologies.

Worked for 10 years as a design engineer and system architect for cellphones/ handheld apps processors. Worked a lot with embedded processors and OSes. Now doing consultancy for semiconductor companies around the world.

So most of my experience is in things that would be total overkill for this project :) I do know which end of a soldering iron is the hot one and have built up a few prototype systems (mostly again larger scale, e.g., PCI daughterboards, cellular network apps).

Been a photographer for 5 years, mostly Canon. Have a mixed bag of Canon and Nikon flash gear and am really interested in the potential for a mixed protocol device - that could handle e-TTL and CLS in one unit - maybe even at the same time.

I'm interested to lend a hand where possible, even if it is just reviewing requirements or suggesting features.
Gordon

Postby matt_e » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:52 pm

Matt here, another South African but living in Seoul.

B.Eng Elec & Comp; mostly embedded software experience but I do know my way round the digital side of the board ;-). The analog stuff is long gone, I'm afraid.

This idea's been kicking around in my head for ages; done some preliminary work on my own but it's great to see I wasn't the only one!
matt_e

Postby scuddy » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:47 pm

Scuddy here, also in Austin. The extent of my electronics experience is mods to the ebay triggers and installing sub-mini jacks in my 550 & 580. I'm versed in AutoCAD if that comes in handy.
My strengths lie in out of the box thinking and stress testing. My wife uses my "creative" thought process to help her noodle out IT and process problems even though I have no background in either. And stress testing just means I'm clumsy.....
scuddy

Postby larsholmgaard.dk » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:20 pm

Lars Holmgaard, 34 years old, Denmark.

I do 3D graphics, flash animations, GUI design and more for living (self employed - see http://www.larsholmgaard.dk).

I can assist with 3D renderings of the product etc. I highly value a product that is very easy to use, stable, sturdy and which looks good too. Because the product is going to be low cost, it does not necessarily have to mean that it must be poorly designed and look like a cheap kit.

Before I went bananas with computers and graphics I followed the electronics route so I have some basic knowledge of electrical circuits and how they work. I also do photography and have recently bought the Microsync Digital which I am not terribly happy with for my Canon equipment.
larsholmgaard.dk

Postby peter_gullberg » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:55 pm

Hi, I'm Peter,

Have 14yr experience in (consumer) product development, have both managed and being a "do'er" in such product development. Have mostly worked with embedded products, that have been put to massproduction in Asia. I'm currently working with product strategy and requirements management, at a small company called "todos".

My interest here, would be to assist in the definition of the "product concept". My experience would also help finding solutions to the various decisions/issues, that we might encounter during the course of this project.

Cheers \Peter
peter_gullberg

I'm in!

Postby Rudeofus » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:44 pm

Hi, I'm Rudi from Vienna, Austria. Got a doctor's degree in EE & RF telecommunications, about 8 years work experience. Avid MS Windows hater, so any development environment exclusively requiring it would probably cut me out of the loop 8)

Got skills in RF design, RF systems design (feasibility studies, link budget calculations, FCC & ETSI rules, models of RF radio wave propagation, protocol design), micro controller programming (mostly Atmel AVR, using GCC), know how to hack up a prototype and make it work. Led development teams doing that. More than willing to comment on initial system design decisions (in case anyone wants to hear them) and also willing to follow through further development steps.
Rudeofus

Postby isgett23 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:16 pm

Hi, I'm Brian from Kansas, USA. I am a lawyer practicing in products liability defense. I am a photo hobbyist. I have no experience whatsoever in the nitty gritty of this project, but I am a huge fan. I can contribute the following skills if needed:

1. unofficial legal research and advice (cannot represent any person or entity officially or form an attorney-client relationship due to my work)
2. I love graphic design and web design. I can contribute to the look of any proposed devices and contribute to marketing or design/DIY materials
isgett23

Postby MQ » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:07 pm

Michael here, professional photographer for almost three decades
now. Experience with almost all types of remote triggering systems,
writer of the DIY lighting guide.
(http://www.photoquack.de/tutorials/diylights.htm)

I can share insights in professional photography requirements
from most subgenres.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem.
MQ

PreviousNext

Return to General