Role Call

General Discussion - Everything else for V1 goes here

Moderators: seaton, strogg

Role Call

Postby strogg » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:04 am

Ok.. that flickr thread is going to be buried before long, so let's get the ball rolling here.

Who do we have that wants to participate in this?

Strogg here - embedded linux developer and electronics hobbyist. I've done some stuff with AVRs and just starting to break into the wireless world.
strogg

Postby danielburkhead » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:28 am

danielburkhead here.

Only slightly knowledgeable in electronics...mostly aircraft systems and such.

I do have steady hands, though! LOL
danielburkhead

Mechanical Engineer likes long walks on beaches...

Postby thenickboy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:30 am

Mech Engineer here, I've got CAD experience, some experience with Industrial Design.

I've got some sketches of rough ideas that I think that we need, but I'll put that in another thread.

Nick
Last edited by thenickboy on Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thenickboy

Postby mattsteg » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:57 am

I put a few microcontroller-driven and general electronics projects together every once in a while at work/school/home. Pretty comfortable with most anything really.
mattsteg

Postby sesh » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:30 am

Brenton here.

I'm a Computer Science student that lives with an Electrical Engineering student in Australia. Both of us are currently working and using our various skills, and I've done programming on microcontrollers before.

I can foresee myself being more useful once we get more into this, perhaps with some software for configuring these things from a computer. It would be nice to be able to encode your own data/passphrase to send, as well as to be able to easily update the software somehow.

I'm also thinking that I would love to play with these things asap, so once we get started I will be happy to buy some development stuff to help beta test.
sesh

Postby onelovephoto » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:02 am

a little bit of electronic experience ( i know how to solder :D). but i have some friends that i'm trying to get registered here who are quite educated in this field.
onelovephoto

Postby seaton » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:21 am

Stephen Eaton here...

I have a fair bit of industrial electronics, PCB cad work Software Development (java/delphi/C) and currently working in IT as an IT Manager.

Some embedded hardware and software but no real commercial experience in this area.

Oh...and yes a keen strobist ;)
Last edited by seaton on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
seaton
Site Admin

Postby ben-s » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:33 am

Ben here
General geek - I've done quite a bit of prototype PCB work - design and manufacture, dabbled in PICs and other more general electronics.
Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will :D
ben-s

Postby Bluphoto7 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:00 am

Hi,
I'm Guy Carnegie calling in from Aberdeen, Scotland. I'm not much of an electronics designer, although I've build several home projects. I have been tech support engineer for our company (Schlumberger) for some time and I've been involved with plenty engineering reviews for component selection. (Many components don't work the same way at 150C as they do at 25C - especially capacitors.).

I've also deployed our equipment in the direct sun of the Omani desert, as well as Northern Siberia and the north slopes of Alaska, and dozens of places in-between.

Be careful of humidity around crystals and ensure timing circuits are done exactly to manufacturers recommendations - we learned that the hard way. This is especially the case around high temp humid conditions like South American jungles etc!

I'm now a customer svcs manager, so I'm pretty organised, but with a decent background in "lateral thinking"

cheers
Guy
Bluphoto7

Role Call

Postby Thonord » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:04 pm

Tom here.
Live in Norway.
Retired
Electronic engineer
Long time as service manager maritime comms and navagation systems
My career was installing and fixing stuff others built.
Knowlwedgable in wireless communications systems.
Being retired I don't have access to professional instrumentation.
You would think I have a lot of spare time, but I'm bussier now than ever.
However, I'm my own boss and I will make time for this. (just don't tell my wife I said so)

Tom
Thonord

Postby JonSenior » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:45 pm

Jon Senior:

-Some hobbiest experience with microcontrollers and RF units.
-Creator of software in a few flavours of assembly and also Java.
-Can actually understand those timing diagrams at the end of datasheets! ;)

Based in Paris (France not Texas)
JonSenior

Postby aalto » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:18 pm

Im a norwegian student of architecture who uses all spare time and money on photography. I design stuff on a daily basis and have access to a workshop to try out designs and to develop them.

I know nothing about electronics or radio, but am more than interested in working with the ergonomics, look, usability etc aspects of the project, finding out all the nice little solutions to make it the thing just a little bit better.

Please read my reply on the requirements thread about considering to build a wireless flash, instead of a wireless trigger for a "third party" flash.

regards, P
aalto

Anton Tagunov

Postby anton.tagunov » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:58 pm

Anton Tagunov, a software developer from Moscow. Have been involved in some of the apache.org projects. Mainly work with my head. Fail to work with things. However my closet is full of radio components bought 1-2 years ago.
anton.tagunov

Postby brittonphotography » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:42 pm

Christopher Britton Lee
Design Engineer for startup medical technology company.
5 Patents with my name on them(pending).
Mechanical engineering background
have picked up some circuit board design along the way and have experience in having boards manufactured. (simple boards though)
Wicked good at soldering, routinely solder wires thinner than human hair for prototypes.

Strong 3d CAD.
Use Pro-E to design 3d parts for work and have prototypes made by rapid prototyping and cast urethane, injection molding.

know only enough about programming and electronics to get myself into trouble.
brittonphotography

Postby h_oudini » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:08 am

Kase Saylor

Electrical engineer in Texas. I do a lot of software development and I love DIY projects (built my own tube guitar amp recently).
h_oudini

Next

Return to General