A mailing list?

General Discussion - Everything else for V1 goes here

Moderators: seaton, strogg

A mailing list?

Postby anton.tagunov » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:38 am

Gentlemen, what do you say about seeking for somewhere to host a project mailing list? Mailing lists have served exceptionally well the software projects I've been on both open source and otherwise. It's a classical way to be keep together and get organized especially across timezones. Also if was possible to get public archives set up somewhere the system would get self-documenting.
anton.tagunov

mailing list

Postby Thonord » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:35 am

At this early stage, I'm open for any change that is an improvement, but what will a mailinglist do that the forum does'nt already do?

I ask out of ignorance.

Tom
Ppl who agree need normally not reply, those who disagree or have questions do.
Or - just ignore me.
Thonord

Postby seaton » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:54 am

I feel at this early stage we need to focus our discussions in one form of media, and I think forums promote the interaction, once we organise ourselves a little better and have an idea of where we are going then I can role out some dedicated mailing lists for the groups etc.

Same goes with the flickr thread, someone has raised some valid points that I agree with about focusing our discussion, so I will get David to lock the flickr thread and point the discussion to the forums.

Stephen...
seaton
Site Admin

Re: mailing list

Postby anton.tagunov » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:55 pm

Thonord wrote:what will a mailinglist do that the forum does'nt already do?

Why mail lists been such a success for software? Perhaps

[1] Ease of tracking. A mailing list is magnitudes easier to track
[2] Equal visibility. Each mail gets same attention - no paging, no above/bellow in the topic
[3] Mailbox management. You delete 99% msgs, save a few. Organize them in mail folders. Set flags on them
anton.tagunov

Postby strogg » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:26 am

I'm looking forward to when we get mailing lists, honestly.. each time I come here, there's usually a new post in every thread, which means reading the entire forum board from front to back. It's soaks up a lot of time that could be better spent.

With a mailing list, if people properly quote, then it's easy to follow a conversation and manage a history of whats going on.

But, we're in a forum for now, so I'll go with the majority.
strogg

Return to General