Party Pooper?????????

General Discussion - Everything else for V1 goes here

Moderators: seaton, strogg

Party Pooper?????????

Postby Thonord » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:33 pm

Ppl who agree need normally not reply, those who disagree or have questions do.
Or - just ignore me.
Thonord
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:32 pm
Location: Norway

Postby mattsteg » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:45 pm

That came out before this started, and looks like it's just a radio repeater for IR wireless TTL stuff. Useful if you've got an investment in current generation wireless systems from nikon or canon, but still maintains a lot of the limitations of them. Going for remote manual capability of all TTL-capable (or modded manual) flashes is something that this cannot match.
mattsteg
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:21 am

Postby seaton » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:47 am

From what I read it looks like a repeater, just forwards on the IR via wireless.....and importantly, it is not open source.

My vision is a modular system that anybody can contribute to, and best of all the it's created by all of us for us, so if we want it to do xyz, then someone can do it as all the source code is open, along with all our protocols etc.

Stephen
seaton
Site Admin
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:48 am
Location: Bunbury, Western Australia

Postby Elv000 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:28 am

Yes but its also a dumb trigger that will trigger anything!

If it works I'll probrably be owning them regardless of where this goes :D


mattstegs vision is nice, but seems overcomplicated to me and would be third on the list of priorities after the dumb trigger and ETTL IR reapeater like the Radiopopper.
Elv000
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:40 am

Postby mattsteg » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:30 am

Elv000 wrote:Yes but its also a dumb trigger that will trigger anything!

If it works I'll probrably be owning them regardless of where this goes :D


mattstegs vision is nice, but seems overcomplicated to me and would be third on the list of priorities after the dumb trigger and ETTL IR reapeater like the Radiopopper.
It's not that hard at all really (other than needing to profile different models of flashes to determine what their full power is).
mattsteg
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:21 am

Postby Elv000 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:15 am

mattsteg wrote:
Elv000 wrote:Yes but its also a dumb trigger that will trigger anything!

If it works I'll probrably be owning them regardless of where this goes :D


mattstegs vision is nice, but seems overcomplicated to me and would be third on the list of priorities after the dumb trigger and ETTL IR reapeater like the Radiopopper.
It's not that hard at all really (other than needing to profile different models of flashes to determine what their full power is).


Yes but also you need to connect to different flash feet which starts to cause hardware problems. With a simple pc or optical we don't even need any hotshoe/foot at this stage. Also you'd be aiming at old second hand flashes like the SB so you'd need to find old TTL cords to get the hotshoe/feet etc (unless you going to manufaacture more expensive bits for every flash unit).
I agree it would be great to have but I'd be aiming for other things first.
Elv000
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:40 am

Postby mattsteg » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:23 am

Elv000 wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
Elv000 wrote:Yes but its also a dumb trigger that will trigger anything!

If it works I'll probrably be owning them regardless of where this goes :D


mattstegs vision is nice, but seems overcomplicated to me and would be third on the list of priorities after the dumb trigger and ETTL IR reapeater like the Radiopopper.
It's not that hard at all really (other than needing to profile different models of flashes to determine what their full power is).


Yes but also you need to connect to different flash feet which starts to cause hardware problems. With a simple pc or optical we don't even need any hotshoe/foot at this stage. Also you'd be aiming at old second hand flashes like the SB so you'd need to find old TTL cords to get the hotshoe/feet etc (unless you going to manufaacture more expensive bits for every flash unit).
I agree it would be great to have but I'd be aiming for other things first.
You can only go so far talking about "saving money" when you're using optical repeaters to extend functionality only available on flashes costing ~$200 and upwards. Those are just a little bit pricier than hotshoe feet...

We're not going to save anyone much money by locking them into buying top of the line, modern strobes for full functionality.
mattsteg
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:21 am

Postby Elv000 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:15 am

Again, its not locking into expensive flashes because its a dumb trigger as well that will trigger anything.

Also theres a hell of alot of photogs who actualy would like to use the ETTL remotely as well. Actualy I'd imagine people who do event wedding type stuff and they would far out number the those that only want to do just commercial type set up shots. The fact that its currently an unreliable connection is a big reason off camera ETTL/ITTL is avoided.

Each to there own I guess.
Elv000
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:40 am

Postby MQ » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:22 pm

Elv000 wrote:Also theres a hell of alot of photogs who actualy would like to
use the ETTL remotely as well. Actualy I'd imagine people who
do event wedding type stuff


Here. At least about the event wedding stuff.

But no. About ETTL. (M)aster mode rulez.

I even run the flash in the hot shoe in manual power ratios
because then I don't need to worry about the ETTL lookup
tables and what the little man in Japan envisioned to be a
"correct" exposure.....
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem.
MQ
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Germany

Postby kberntsen » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:24 pm

I missed the part about the radio popper repeating the IR signals. I'd definately like this to go the route of connecting the flash heads to the camera via a "Radio Cable"

I don't know about the Canon & Nikon systems but I know the Minolta/Sony system uses serial comunication from the camera to the flash to tell the flash when and at what power to fire.

I'd think the Canon and Nikon systems would work similarly.
kberntsen
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:10 pm

Postby Rudeofus » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:57 pm

kberntsen wrote:I don't know about the Canon & Nikon systems but I know the Minolta/Sony system uses serial comunication from the camera to the flash to tell the flash when and at what power to fire.

I'd think the Canon and Nikon systems would work similarly.


Check this out for the Canon protocol. Was posted by seaton here.
Rudeofus
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:28 pm


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron